A year ago at the Makers Faire, I bought a crochet book called Creepy Cute Crochet by Christen Haden. The book includes instructions for 19 good or not creatures that have style and attitude and are mostly cute. My boys enjoy looking at the pictures and making requests for me to make them their favorite creatures from the book.
My first attempt at a creature was while travelling by car in June. I crocheted Cthulhu from pages 34 to 36 of this book, using a variegated blue instead of the green shown in the book. The instructions were easy to follow and the creature was fun to crochet and relatively quick to complete.
Skill Level: Easy
Cost: less than $25 (less if you already have the yarn, stuffing and specific size of crochet hook
Time Required: 2 & 1/2 hours
- Creepy Cute Crochet book is available at Amazon.
- US size E crochet hook
- crochet count markers (optional unless you tend to loose track of your beginning and end points (like I do))
- small skein of yarn medium weight 4
- googily eyes or felt to make eyes
- yarn cutter
- Choose your creature and then follow the instructions from the book.
The book has a brief crochet basics section at the beginning of the book to help remember abbreviations and techniques. It also has it’s own variation of some techniques, such as the “magic ring”. I don’t think that I got the ring quite right, but was able to darn it closed so there is no opening visible in that area. Here are my photos:
Now, to find more time to crochet more creatures!